Note: Based on a true incident I witnessed in a London local train.


      It’s always a delight to watch them compete with each other to overtake; they seem to have their own brain as they knew where to take me making the ground slide under me. Nicely covered with my polished shoes and with the help of ironed blazer they were trying to remind my mind on an energetic setoff for Monday morning. I was hijacked by the coziness of my duvet I suppose as I was feeling hatred towards this job and wished that the weekend had to be longer. The hot water shower, the train journey in the past twenty minutes did have their impact on my body but it couldn't stop my mind from wandering in its own world, pondering over silly but funny thoughts.

      My feet halted, as I waited on the platform of Euston Square station for the train. The count of people on the platform keeps rising every second. As the train stopped for its one minute halt at the station, people started boarding the train - every foot trying to be swift, every eye looking for some room. I got in the train and was raising my hand trying to reach the support rod. Standing journey is not much uncomfortable when we know the journey is only for 15 minutes. As I was about to relax my muscles which have been in action till now, I suddenly noticed a lady getting up from the seat next to the window. Taking no time to wonder why she got up very late to exit at this station, I quickly moved forward to occupy the seat.

     Taking a deep breath, I looked at the people around while I made myself comfortable in the seat. Men and women in formal wears, some reading newspapers, some discussing business, some looking nowhere with their eyes clearly indicating that they were prepared for the challenges they’d face today in their work. I always wondered how people stop living their life as soon as they start for office.

      I leant back and was about close my eyes when I realized what I missed in the panorama. My mind came out of all the thoughts and my eyes opened a bit wider as I suddenly noticed the girl sitting right in front of me. She is not like the other people. She looked lost in some thoughts. I can sense a change in my heart beat. Did my mind identify something in her? Is it because she is unlike others and more like me?

     My eyes quickly turned towards the window as they sensed her eyes turning towards me. Did she know that I was watching her? Why does this mind keep questioning me for every little thought? I kept gazing at the window. But I could see nothing. My heart didn't want my eyes to turn away from her. As my mind gained its consciousness I realized my eyes are again watching her. It happened again. I turned my eyes away from her as she turned her eyes on me. This continued for a while and both our eyes started playing hide and seek.

     I slowly started gaining courage. I was looking at her and she again turned her sight at me. I didn't move away this time. I continued to look at her. Her eyes narrowed a little and her eyebrows slightly furrowed showing a little surprise. Within a few seconds, her eyebrows relaxed and her lips began to widen (smile).

     Now that’s where I thought she encouraged me. I thought for a while. But, before I realized what I was doing, my hands have already reached hers. She didn’t resist my moves neither she looked into my eyes. I held her hands and closed my eyes as I felt some bond between us. It was then that I had a push from my wonderland when I heard “Liverpool St. Station” – it was my destination. We raised our eyes to look at each other and we never knew when our lips met but they met to create that feeling in our hearts. The train reached the station, I looked at her again as I alighted the train. I waited till the train left and looked at her watching me through the glass waving me good-bye.

      For few moments, I was in an altogether wonderful world of flowered fragrance on the railway station watching the train disappear from my eyes into the mist… Even my feet which were supposed to take off immediately to office as earlier days, were not interested to do so. I somehow hoped she would get down at the next station and come back to me. I wanted to wait indefinitely but I was a human being bound by practical values. But my mind was amazed at my behavior; it posed several questions as I walked towards my office.
 
What exactly happened between us?
 
What’s this mischievous wonderful feeling tickling my heart?
 
How would her voice sound?
 
And among all others, the most important question,
 
 
“Who is she?”
 

*      *      *
 
P.S.: Thanks Sandeep for helping me complete this. :)

2 comments:

Nice read...
I was hoping the "she" was a little baby girl..
Damn!!! or a pet.. :-P

haha. no such twists. I watched this in the train. felt interesting. so just thought of penning it down, with some dramatization :)

Post a Comment

Followers